Originally founded in 2012 as a vintage motorcycle import and customisation business in Byron Bay, THRILLS Co has evolved into a must-have culture-defining fashion label. With Brooke and Tabitha McGregor at the helm as the company founders, and mens and womens designers respectively, the brand draws inspiration from music, art and motorcycle culture.
THRILLS offers carefully curated and high quality styles, with sustainability at front of mind. The lifestyle brand exists for the modern day outsider and embraces a timeless aesthetic.
In Q3 2019, after a sustained period of flat SEO YoY traffic results, we agreed with the client to implement an SEO strategy to increase traffic and conversions from this channel.
We put in place a strategy with the following objectives:
- Achieve a 50% YoY organic traffic monthly growth by Aug 2020
- Double the number of monthly YoY non-brand Google organic impressions by the end of August 2020
- Double the number of YoY first interaction conversions from Organic Search in a period of 12 months
how we helped
Our SEO strategy took an integrated approach, maximising the existing opportunity of each of the SEO pillars (Content, Technical, and Link Earning):
1. Content - New page creation and existing pages optimisation
To identify opportunities for optimising existing pages, as well as potential new pages, we conducted a keyword research and content gap analysis. This helped to inform optimisations across the different query types; transactional, navigational, and informational.
As a result, we were able to recommend:
- the creation of new sub-categories, which would be updated based on seasonality
- Updates to title tags, content, and internal link anchor text for existing pages to better rank for relevant queries
- The creation and optimisation of pages to ensure brand-related queries were landing on the Thrills site rather than retailers/wholesalers
- Optimisations to the size guide based on search demand
2. Technical SEO
The main implementations during the campaign were the following:
• Topic cannibalisation issues & content pruning
• Shopify default issue – Improving the internal link structure & avoiding duplication on product pages
• Internal link equity optimisation
• Internal links to subcategory pages
• Broken links and legacy URL redirections
3. Link earning
We worked with the THRILLS team to improve the number of relevant and authority referring domains pointing to thrills.co
Main actions together:
• Non-linked brand mentions
We looked into opportunities around brand mentions and owners mentions, and advised the THRILLS team of opportunities for outreach to obtain a backlink.
• Campaign with Universities
One of the THRILLS target audiences are students. We implemented a campaign and we received backlinks from high authority universities.
In addition, business decisions were made during the campaign such as the announcement of THRILLS expanding to Asia and THRLLS PR actions when launching a new collection helped to improve their backlink profile getting links from authority (media/press) and relevant websites (fashion magazines).
August 2020 Google YoY monthly non brand impressions were more than double (+134%).
Since November 19 YoY monthly users from Organic traffic was more than double (+188%).
From August 19 to August 20 first interaction YoY conversions from organic search were more than double (+111%).